New Person Questions

Neil Jerram neil@ossau.uklinux.net
12 Jun 2002 18:51:59 +0100

    Aaron> I've seen in the past that the totals for gnucash accounts
    Aaron> accumulate as one might expect, but in expense accounting
    Aaron> the totals can become irritatingly large over a period of
    Aaron> time.

I handle this by zeroing all my income and expense accounts at the end
of each year, by transfers into my equity account.

I agree, though, that it would be nicer for Gnucash to somehow do this
"automatically".  A clear definition of "automatically" would probably
be a big help for the developers, too.

One disadvantage of my approach is that there are more places to
correct if you find and correct an error in a previous year.

    Aaron> Next question: I'm using 1.6.5 packaged for SuSE Linux 8.0.
    Aaron> (Is there a 1.6.6 version around somewhere that someone has
    Aaron> actually gotten to compile?)  When choosing some of the
    Aaron> reports (Reports:Utility:Welcome Extravaganza,
    Aaron> Reports:A&L:Net Worth Bar Chart, and others), GnuCash
    Aaron> crashes without error or a core file.  No log entry,
    Aaron> doesn't clean up the file handles, just crash-go-boom.

Depending on exactly what's wrong, one candidate fix for this is
rerunning gnome-font-install correctly.  Google for gnucash and
gnome-font-install.

    Aaron> Is there an archive of gnucash-user and gnucash-devel that
    Aaron> has a decent search facility?  Downloading the entire mbox
    Aaron> gives me all the mail, but makes it difficult to +search
    Aaron> +on terms that +aren't +consecutive "like my fine example"
    Aaron> +here.  Searching the mbox for "mailing list archive" got a
    Aaron> number of hits, none of which answered this question.  :)

I just use Google.

        Neil