New Person Questions

Aaron Goldblatt lists-gnucash@goldblatt.net
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:11:43 -0500

> In other words, you haven't seen any working piechart/barchart in
> Gnucash? Then it's a problem with the graphical library we are using
> which is called Guppi. I'm running 1.6.6 on Suse 8.0 without problems.
> Maybe you need more GNOME packages which you can get on
> http://www.suse.de/en/support/download/gnomes/i386/update_for_8_0/index.html

Guppi is installed, v0.40.3-126, which is what comes on the SuSE 8.0
install discs.  Lack of guppi isn't the issue.

Where did you get your copy of 1.6.6?  The version on the web page (and
on the install discs) is 1.6.5.  I've been unable to
compile 1.6.6.  <rant> It fails on gnome-print if i try to configure as
root.  If I configure as non-root, it gets past gnome-print but fails
unable to find libglade, even though libglade-devel is installed
(0.16-480). Trying to compile glade 0.62 fails at an inability to find
gtk (gtk-devel is installed, v1.2.0 I believe), and if I disable the gtk
test, it fails at finding scrollkeeper-config.

Trying to install glib-2.0.3 fails looking for pkg-config.  Install
pkg-config from the SuSE CD, and it actually works.  But the trying to
install atk and pango fail because they can't find glib.  Okay fixed
pkg-config to find that stuff ... now can't find glib-mkemums. Fix
that (/usr/local/bin in path), atk compiles but pango fails on an
undefined reference!  Does it never end?

</rant>

It would be most helpful if the folks who maintain the gnucash.org web
site would please list version numbers of required dependencies in
addition to just the name of the package.  Yes, it requires gtk, but
will it run with gtk2, or does it require gtk1.2?  I can't read source
code well enough to know that.

ag