wishlist: expressions in fields

Tripp Lilley tripp+gnucash-user@perspex.com
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 06:52:02 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Tripp Lilley wrote:

> I'd like to be able to do spreadsheet-like expressions in fields as I'm
> entering things. For instance, in the absence of a cool "do sales tax"
> button, I'd like to be able to enter .045 * (8.96 + 7.67 + 7.97) or,
> better yet, .045 * sum([1],[3]) (where "1" and "3" are references to split
> rows).

[replies to own post, again]

Okay, I just discovered that it -was- actually doing basic expression
evaluation, but I was working in the credits column and forgot to zero out
the debits column (which had an auto-generated balance in it), so the
result wasn't what I expected, and I assumed it was because it hadn't
evaluated my expression.

So, I modify my original proposal to be: I'd like to be able to use split
row / field references within field expressions. That is, I want a way to
refer to the value in the credit or debit column of a particular split row
(or a range of split rows). That, coupled with some nice aggregate
functions, would make it wicked simple to do frequent tasks like sales tax
computation.