wishlist: expressions in fields

Robert A. Uhl ruhl@4dv.net
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 08:44:12 -0700

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 06:43:07AM -0500, Tripp Lilley wrote:

> I'd like to be able to do spreadsheet-like expressions in fields as I'm
> entering things. For instance, in the absence of a cool "do sales tax"
> button, I'd like to be able to enter .045 * (8.96 + 7.67 + 7.97) or,
> better yet, .045 * sum([1],[3]) (where "1" and "3" are references to split
> rows).

Try the first out--it's there already.  I use it to simplify entry of
depreciation information (yes, I calculate depreciation on my kitchen
knives...).

> But in the short term, a basic expressions-in-fields facility, with some
> syntax for referring to split rows / fields would be wicked cool.

I don't believe that there's a way to refer to data, but I could very
well be wrong.

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
I must say I find television very educational.  The minute somebody