disposing of splits

Robert A. Uhl ruhl@4dv.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:06:56 -0700

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 07:41:59AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:

> If necessary, however, I'll create a "transaction" expense-type
> account and a second checking cash(?)-type account named "checking."
> Then when I record each income or expenditure, I'll have to do it
> twice.

Don't worry--you needn't enter it twice.  When you fill out the line
in the chequing account, you specify the transaction account as the
other account to use.  Then everything will balance out nicely.  E.g.

Date         Num   Description   Transfer       R   Deposit     Withdrawal
15/03/2002         Paycheque     Transactions   n   $1,500.00
18/03/2002    10   Rent          Transactions   n                  $500.00
18/03/2002         Groceries     Transactions   n                   $46.80

After this, your balance in Chequing would be $953.20.  Your balance
in Transactions would be -$953.20.  The reason for this is that your
paycheque comes from Transactions, taking $1,500 from it and putting
that amount into Chequing.  Since Transactions was empty, its value is
now -$1,500.  You then moved $500 from Chequing to Transactions,
reducing Chequing to $1,000 and raising Transactions to -$1,000.  You
then moved $46.80 from Chequing to Transactions, reducing Chequing to
$953.20 and raising Transactions to -$953.20.

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
The betterment of fools, Goethe tells us, is the appropriate business of