guppitank problems during build

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:55:40 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Louis Mandelstam wrote:

> I am trying to build Red Hat RawHide's gnucash-1.6.6-2.src.rpm and I'm
> using Guppi-0.40.3-4 and Guppi-devel-0.40.3-4 also built from the version
> currently found in RawHide.
>
> checking for libguppi - version >= 0.35.1... no
> *** Could not run libguppi test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means libguppi was incorrectly installed
> *** or that you have moved libguppi since it was installed. In the latter case, you
> *** may want to edit the gnome-config script: /usr/bin/gnome-config
> configure: error: libguppi not found
>

> Looking for the elusive guppitank, I only find the following directory on
> my build system (belongs to the Guppi-devel package):
>
> /usr/include/gnome-1.0/libguppitank
>
> It contains:
>
> /usr/include/gnome-1.0/libguppitank/guppi-tank-init.h
> /usr/include/gnome-1.0/libguppitank/guppi-object.h
> /usr/include/gnome-1.0/libguppitank/guppi-tank.h

Checking the list of files you have for your build of Guppi against what I
have in my 0.40.2 version you have over half the files missing. This
probably means you've run into the libtool bug on RH 7.2 that ends up not
building correctly rpms. AFAIK RH still has'nt fixed this bug though there
is a work around of changing ltmain.sh in the tarball and making all the
relink=yes say relink=no. You should probably also check what the rpm spec
file has as its file listing against an actual build of the rpm. You can
do this by doing rpm -bi Guppi.spec which will build the rpm up to just
before the stage where is wipes the temporary installtion directory.
If all this seems to confusing to you the easiest thing might just be to
use the binary rpms from rawhide.

Chris