Backing Up Data

Chris Olson chris@astcomm.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 22:05:55 -0500

tom wrote:
> I looked in the online manual and I didn't see anything about backing up
> data.  The name of my main file is "postwin".  Do I only have to back
> that file up or do I have to worry about any of the other files (like
> the *.xac" files)?  Also, is there a way to "break up" my backup data so
> I can store it on multiple floppy discs (like I can in Quicken)?

Tom,
If you have access to a file server on your network, you can rsync your
GnuCash data file to a backup on the server on a daily basis via a cron
job.  That way it's automatic.  For removable media backups I generally
don't recommend using floppies for important data backups at all since there
are some problems with floppy reliability.  Burning your data file to a CD
is much better.  You don't have to worry about the .xac files.  They are
basically an automatic backup of your datafile that is saved as it was
before you changed it.

Chris Olson
System Administrator
AST Communications    http://www.astcomm.net