how to handle new wife's earnings.

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
28 May 2002 22:24:04 -0400

>>>>> "waxmop" == waxmop  <waxmop@gtcinternet.com> writes:

    waxmop> 1.  I give her a login id on the linux box and she starts
    waxmop>     up her own GnuCash account.  I later create a 3rd
    waxmop>     account tree that merges mine and hers into one
    waxmop>     "family account".

I do something akin to this, but....

My wife has an account on my Linux machine.  She logs in from her Mac
(running MacOS X) using VNC.  The GnuCash files are in one of my
subdirectories which has group access set to 2770 (u+rwx,g+rwxs) and
the file permission on gnucash.data initially set to 660.  It will get
mangled based on the umask and probably come out 0640 or 0660 after
writing (if your umask is 022 like mine).  The group ownership of the
directory is is one in which we are both members.  There is a symlink
from one of her subdirectories point to my gnucash.data directory;
that's just cosmetic so it has the same path from her home directory
as it does from mine.

This arrangement works well for us.  Only one at a time can be
accessing the file, but we are not restricted to sitting in front of a
particular machine (used to be Quicken on her Mac which meant I
couldn't use it if she had anything else to do...).

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland@rlenter.com                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B