Profit/Loss Income/Expense

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
06 Oct 2002 14:09:16 -0500

I would very much like something like this - but it could be even
simpler initially. I would implement it myself, but learning enough
scheme to do so is a bit time consuming at the moment. I was considering
just perl+xml to read the accounts file itself.

(Request - It might be nice to be able to hook external processes into
the report generation code - i.e. pass an external process the XML of
the register data, option selection, etc. and read HTML in return.)

Instead of a full fledged cash-flow report, have a single-account
cash-flow report. In options pick the "primary" account for a report,
and the other accounts to show, with depth/etc. just like P&L.

In the output, for each account, list the amount to/from that account
from the primary account.

---

In cases of complicated splits, you'd need to adjust the numbers. For
example, you have a transaction with funds coming from cash and another
account. If you set your primary as the cash account, the outgoing
amount would actually be too large. I was thinking if you have:

>From Account 1: X
>From Account 2: Y
To Account 3: A
To Account 4: B

For primary of account 1, indicate it as:

	From Account 1 To Account 3:  X/(X+Y) * A
	From Account 1 To Account 4:  X/(X+Y) * B

and so forth. That should still give the expected numbers for normal
transactions, but also handles the complicated ones.

This would not accomplish everything a cash-flow report would, but it
would take care of "where is all the money in my checking account
going", which you can't answer reasonably right now if you have accounts
other than expenses.

-- Nathan