Recording foreign transactions

Dave Carrigan dave@rudedog.org
12 Sep 2002 08:13:10 -0700

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 06:10, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> I have a question about using different currencies with GnuCash.  The fact that
> GnuCash handles more than one currency is one of the big things that convinced
> me to try it out.
>
> My wife and I have several bills we pay in Canada, but we live in the U.S.  We
> also have a Canadian checking account.

I am in exactly the same situation, and have no trouble using Gnucash to
manage both my US and Canadian checking accounts. I am using a recent
CVS version of Gnucash, which may or may not matter.

The only other issue I encountered is when you enter a transaction in
the Canadian account register and charge it to a US expense category,
the balance in the Canadian register didn't update. The solution is to
actually do a transfer using the menu option (i.e., transfer money from
the canadian account to the US category).

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA