Future Enhancements

Jonathan Milton alpha@jpmilton.freeserve.co.uk
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:04:23 +0000

Hi,

There are three features I would like to see added to
gnucash sometime in the future - maybe they're already
there and I don't know how to use them.

i) Archive facility

Say I've been using gnucash for 3 yrs. I'd like to be able to
split my records into multiple files automatically as the
calender passes a programmable date, maybe the 1st jan, maybe
the start of the financial year. But having split the files
and named them automatically. I'd want gnucash to behave
as if they were all loaded, or everything as far back as a
specified date.

ii) Automatic transaction facility

I would like to be able to program certain regular transactions
to occur without me entering them. For example I may pay
my mortgage on the last working day of every month, I'd like that
to be done automatically.

iii) Asset revaluation & management

I'd like a tool which allowed assets to be revalued. I personally
try to revalue my assets every 3 months. When I do this I have to
make adjustments to a number of accounts, eg accrued gains,
unrealized income. If I sell an asset I need to make the necessary
transfers to realized gains etc.

It sounds straight forward to add a tool which simply accepts a
revaluation, sale or purchase command, and then makes the necessary
adjustments to the accounts.

Other than these things, I really think gnucash is first rate and
have no idea how I ever managed without it.

Regards,

   Jon