My fonts are clobbered; gnucash won't run

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
16 Sep 2002 23:13:55 -0500

--=-hNCeucdh9U3r28Blibcx

Well, I don't really know too much about Mandrake, but the fact that xfs
won't stay up means that your applications cannot find their fonts.  You
could, of course, hard-code the font paths into XF86Config, but that is
a less preferable option, especially considering your system crash and
questionable recovery.  When you upgrade, consider switching your file
system types to a journaled file system such as ext3.  ext3 is fairly
painless to get going, and more importantly does not require a reformat
of you partitions (meaning no data loss).  This greatly reduces the
chance of corrupted files in the event of a system crash or catastrophic
reboot (oops...the dog tripped over the power cord, or something).

You may wish to file a bug report about the gnucash crash--there should
be an appropriate error message instead of a crash, IMHO.  Presumably X
has a default font or something, seeing how it starts and all without
the fontpath defined...I've never taken the time to see what happens
when X is run without any fonts.

If you are familiar enough with how, you could try troubleshooting why
xfs won't run--that's what I always did.

On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 08:09, Laura Conrad wrote:
>=20
>     Matthew> Not sure if anyone helped you on this, but it's not really a=
 GnuCash
>     Matthew> issue.
>=20
> The fact that it crashes instead of finding a font and/or writing an
> error message about exactly what it can't find should be fixed.  As I
> said, none of the other applications I run has crashed, and most of them
> have found fonts.
>=20
>     Matthew> A key question is, what has changed on the system in the las=
t week or
>     Matthew> so.  Did you install new software?  Have you deleted any fil=
es?=20=20
>=20
> urpmi is in one of its crazy mixed-up states that makes it really
> difficult to install new software, so I'm pretty sure that isn't it.
> The machine was acting wierd and I rebooted and ran fsck which had to
> do a bunch of stuff.  So that might have been what deleted some files.
>=20
>     Matthew> Another possibility is that the font server (xfs) was not
>     Matthew> running--it occasionally crashes.=20=20
>=20
> xfs status said:
>=20
> xfs dead but pid file exists
>=20
> but when I restarted it, I had the same problem with gnucash.  This is
> with or without the line in the config file.
>=20
> I think I'll take the previous suggestion and install the Mandrake 9
> beta, but it would have been nice if someone knew a workaround for
> running gnucash with the fonts clobbered in whatever way my fonts
> are.  I can't find anything about Xresources in the documentation, but
> gnucash must really be using them, mustn't it?
>=20
>=20
> --=20

--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print
$i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
except me.

--=-hNCeucdh9U3r28Blibcx

--=-hNCeucdh9U3r28Blibcx--