My fonts are clobbered; gnucash won't run

Laura Conrad lconrad@laymusic.org
14 Sep 2002 09:09:19 -0400

    Matthew> Not sure if anyone helped you on this, but it's not really a GnuCash
    Matthew> issue.

The fact that it crashes instead of finding a font and/or writing an
error message about exactly what it can't find should be fixed.  As I
said, none of the other applications I run has crashed, and most of them
have found fonts.

    Matthew> A key question is, what has changed on the system in the last week or
    Matthew> so.  Did you install new software?  Have you deleted any files?

urpmi is in one of its crazy mixed-up states that makes it really
difficult to install new software, so I'm pretty sure that isn't it.
The machine was acting wierd and I rebooted and ran fsck which had to
do a bunch of stuff.  So that might have been what deleted some files.

    Matthew> Another possibility is that the font server (xfs) was not
    Matthew> running--it occasionally crashes.

xfs status said:

xfs dead but pid file exists

but when I restarted it, I had the same problem with gnucash.  This is
with or without the line in the config file.

I think I'll take the previous suggestion and install the Mandrake 9
beta, but it would have been nice if someone knew a workaround for
running gnucash with the fonts clobbered in whatever way my fonts
are.  I can't find anything about Xresources in the documentation, but
gnucash must really be using them, mustn't it?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574