Using tax tables in accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 1 16:13:18 CST 2003

Roché Compaan <roche at upfrontsystems.co.za> writes:

> Sorry, I wasn't too clear in my explanantion above. I *do* use billing
> and invoices for all my customers and vendors.  But some expenses (were
> VAT is included) does not really make sense as bills. An example of this
> is an admin or service fee or a transaction charge that appears on my
> bank statement at the end of the month - the bank doesn't send me a bill
> for this they just deduct it. To do proper reconciliation with my bank
> statement I need to put each bank charge on a separate bill and process
> the payment.
>
> What I do at the moment is to enter a split transaction into my cheque
> account with "Bank service charges" and "VAT" as the two expense
> accounts. It would be nice to have some help in calculating this split
> and not calculate this manually each time - it doesn't have to have the
> exact same interface for tax entries that billing and invoicing has.

May I suggest "xcalc"? ;)

Seriously, once you enter a single transaction, future transactions
are as easily as an auto-completion and fixing the numbers; xcalc
can tell you what numbers you need to enter.

Sorry, but I have zero interest in working on this myself.  I've got a
list of 20 or 30 gnucash tasks that I consider more important and more
generally usable.  If you want to submit code that implements this,
I'll take a good look at it to make sure it doesn't violate the
current abstractions (namely, being able to run without the business
functions enabled), but I wont dismiss it out-of-hand.