Using tax tables in accounts

RochéCompaan roche at upfrontsystems.co.za
Tue Apr 1 23:07:11 CST 2003

> > expenses to the government. So far Gnucash can handle all of this
> > through Billing and Invoicing. What is a pain though is that I have to
> > either create a bill for each bank charge on my bank statement just so
> > that I can have VAT calculated and written to the right account or I
> > have to create a split transaction and calculate the VAT by myself.
>
> Well, honestly, you SHOULD be entering bills through the billing
> interface, and invoices through the invoice interdace.  That's what
> it's there for.  I admit that I need to improve the capbilities of the
> UI, to allow duplication of Bills/Invoices and improve the
> auto-completion.  But the fact remains that what you're doing is
> trying to bypass the feature...

Sorry, I wasn't too clear in my explanantion above. I *do* use billing
and invoices for all my customers and vendors.  But some expenses (were
VAT is included) does not really make sense as bills. An example of this
is an admin or service fee or a transaction charge that appears on my
bank statement at the end of the month - the bank doesn't send me a bill
for this they just deduct it. To do proper reconciliation with my bank
statement I need to put each bank charge on a separate bill and process
the payment.

What I do at the moment is to enter a split transaction into my cheque
account with "Bank service charges" and "VAT" as the two expense
accounts. It would be nice to have some help in calculating this split
and not calculate this manually each time - it doesn't have to have the
exact same interface for tax entries that billing and invoicing has.

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za