Using tax tables in accounts

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 1 12:14:47 CST 2003

Roché Compaan <roche at upfrontsystems.co.za> writes:

> > In a normal register, you need to enter all the transaction splits
> > anyways, so I don't quite understand where the Tax Table can help you
> > or even how you would want to use it...
>
> I would imagine that one enter a transaction into the normal register,
> indicate that tax is applicable and when the transaction is posted it
> creates a split entry posting the total * tax to my tax account.

Except here's the rub:  The transaction is posted _AS YOU ENTER IT_
in a normal register.

> Here is some more background to my problem. In South Africa, we pay VAT
> (Value Added Tax) for all services rendered and goods sold and must also
> charge VAT for all services rendered and goods sold. Every second month
> we have to pay over the difference between VAT on income and VAT on

Yes, I understand how VAT works (even though we don't have that here
in the US)...  But if you are rendering serivces and selling goods,
those entries should be made through the Customer Invoices, in which
case you can use the Tax Tables.

> expenses to the government. So far Gnucash can handle all of this
> through Billing and Invoicing. What is a pain though is that I have to
> either create a bill for each bank charge on my bank statement just so
> that I can have VAT calculated and written to the right account or I
> have to create a split transaction and calculate the VAT by myself.

Well, honestly, you SHOULD be entering bills through the billing
interface, and invoices through the invoice interdace.  That's what
it's there for.  I admit that I need to improve the capbilities of the
UI, to allow duplication of Bills/Invoices and improve the
auto-completion.  But the fact remains that what you're doing is
trying to bypass the feature...

Sorry,