No double entry needed

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 1 23:30:59 CST 2003

timex at dsl.ca writes:

> Hi:
>
> I was trying out gnucash for the first time and have no idea if I can do
> what I need to with it.  first of all, I don't need a double entry system.

You may not NEED a double entry system, but you'll be much happier
if you have one.  Once you understand double-entry, you'll never want
to go back.

> I rent some rooms in my home and need to make one account just to keep
> track of rental income.  I need one other account to keep track of house
> expenses.  Can I do this somehow?  If not, can someone recommend a
> program to accomplish that?

Gnucash can do that in its sleep....  Create you Income:Rental and
Expenses:House accounts, as well as your Assets:Cash account, and then
transfer from I:R -> A:C when you get your rent checks, and A:C -> E:H
when you pay for expenses.