Customer vs Company

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Apr 3 09:47:23 CST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 12:09:08AM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Retracile <retracile at earthlink.net> writes:
> > Silly?  Well, I was looking for a "Report of my customers".  There _aren't_
> > other reports that would do that, and, well, I expected there to be one, and
> > that was the closest match I found.  "Who are your customers?" is a
> > reasonable question to ask of a business.
>
> Really?  I know who all my customers are.  I don't find a "who are your
> customers" to be at all interesting.  "How much do my customers owe
> me?"  Now THAT is an interesting questions, and you can get that through
> the A/R Aging Report.  But just a list of my customers???  I still think
> that's just silly.

Derek!

I think you've been working too hard on gnucash!

There are perfectly legit reasons to want to extract a list of only
customer names (without showing account balances).   Maybe you just want
to give the list to your secretary, and say 'send all these people a
christmas card' or 'make sure all these people got updated part number 42'.

Sure, its a blur between what gnucash is intended for, and how its used,
but this sort of 'abuse' is the tip of the iceberg.  Its reasonable to expect
the gnucash addressbook to be visible to evolution, and v.v. but very
very unfortuantely, therere is no Linux system architecture for this kind
of thing. (LDAP is too hard to install/use/administer).

--linas