Customer vs Company

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 3 10:58:57 CST 2003

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> Derek!
>
> I think you've been working too hard on gnucash!

*THAT* I will agree with wholeheartedly!!!

> There are perfectly legit reasons to want to extract a list of only
> customer names (without showing account balances).   Maybe you just want
> to give the list to your secretary, and say 'send all these people a
> christmas card' or 'make sure all these people got updated part number 42'.
>
> Sure, its a blur between what gnucash is intended for, and how its used,
> but this sort of 'abuse' is the tip of the iceberg.  Its reasonable to expect
> the gnucash addressbook to be visible to evolution, and v.v. but very
> very unfortuantely, therere is no Linux system architecture for this kind
> of thing. (LDAP is too hard to install/use/administer).

Well, you _can_ get this information:

        Business -> Customers -> Find Customers

        Select Customers:
        Customer Name  [matches] [regex] .*

or
        Customer Name [does not match] [substring] ?

(where '?' is a character you don't use in a customer name)

Granted, there is no way to print out the results of the selection
window, but you can get the list.  My point is that it's not a common
feature, so I really don't see the value in cluttering up the UI with
a shortcut.