Account reconciliation docs

rneri at libero.it rneri at libero.it
Wed Aug 6 09:57:48 CDT 2003

> Questions for the list:
> How is the "Starting Balance" calculated?
Hmm... What do you mean? My bank send me their statement every quarter, and the starting balance is equal to the ending balance
of the previous statement (I've read messages in this list of people complaining that their Gnucash starting balance wasn't equal to
their statement starting balance, but whether this was a bank error, user error or Gnucash error as not been clarified yet). I'm *not* an
accountant, but Gnucash should display the balance of the last reconciled transaction as the starting balance, otherwise you'll get a bit
confused...

> What is the "Enter Interest Payment" button used for?
When they send me their quarterly statement, my bank also compute interests for that quarter; however, I don't use that button,
because my bank also charge me commission and taxes every quarter, and I prefer to enter those amounts manually in specific
accounts. I would like to point out that the value date of these transactions is the end of the quarter, therefore they will appear (and I
will reconcile them) in the next statement,
Regards
Roberto