Question to european gnucash users

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Wed Aug 6 10:21:55 CDT 2003

Fredrik Persson wrote:
> Yes, I know. We've *got* cheques in Europe too. I've used one once,
> for the down payment on a car.
>
> However, that's not really the point. The commonwealth (is America +
> New Zeeland and Australia?) uses cheques a *lot* compared to europe.
> I don't know why. Maybe you get robbed so often in the US that cash
> is useless? But, as I said, that's not really the point.

So, in other words:

1) You are from Europe (I repeat that, because you certainly have).
2) Checks do exist in this distant land of which you speak.
3) You have, in fact, used checks yourself.
4) You suggest that Martin (with a Canadian email address, notice the
".ca"), or people that live in the Commonwealth, don't use cash because
people in the US get robbed a lot?

I think this thread is starting to veer towards the bizarre.

PS: The commonwealth does not include the US.

> Isn't there some kind of translation project that aims at translating
> gnucash, including the documentation, into other languages? I'll tell
> you this; if all this talk about cheques is still there when the
> swedish version is finished, people in this country will get veeery
> confused! And this is not very good for gnucash in the end.

Yes!  Finally, you have a chance to correct the injustices found in the
plethora of check-philic comments in the documentation!

Follow the instructions here:
http://www.gnucash.org/en/hacking.phtml

...checkout the 1.8 branch from CVS.  Then, read the file
doc/TRANSLATION_HOWTO which will have detailed instructions on how to
make new translations to the program, and how to work on the documentation.

So, Fredrik, for the sake of other advanced non-check-using people like
yourself, we await your documentation contributions.

PS: In the latest documentation found in CVS (14 chapters, 3 appendi,
7102 paragraphs) there are 71 paragraphs that contain the word "check",
not counting the "checkbook" chapter.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil