Question to european gnucash users

Diamond Edge Company diamond.edge at verizon.net
Wed Aug 6 12:02:48 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 09:26, Trevor Barton wrote:
> Jon Lapham wrote:
> > I think this thread is starting to veer towards the bizarre.
> >
> > PS: The commonwealth does not include the US.
>
> I think he probably meant "colonial" ;-)
>
> > PS: In the latest documentation found in CVS (14 chapters, 3 appendi,
> > 7102 paragraphs) there are 71 paragraphs that contain the word "check",
> > not counting the "checkbook" chapter.
>
> Aaah, but how many of those references meant "check" as in "check the
> result" rather than "cheque" which all proper users of the English language
> know to be a small slip of paper on which one might write an order for
> someone to give someone else some of your money?

I use the two spelling differences that is a good point.  Suggest the spelling
difference be incorporated into the gnucash manual.

> See, not only are you cheque-centric in the colonies, but you've left
> yourselves open to misinterpretation by not spelling the Queen's English as
> She meant it to be spelled, Lord luv 'er.

Noah Webster changed proper english spellings in his dictionary first
published in 1758, I believe.  However, you will still find proper english
spellings still in use in the southeastern U.S. and in Canada.

Smitty