Command line reports?

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Aug 8 13:34:16 CDT 2003

Matthew Vanecek wrote:
>>Ah, yes, interacting with external applications.  Export to tab
>>delimited files, OpenOffice spreadsheets, etc, etc.  All highly
>>requested features, and none supported as of yet.  I think this
>>questions is yet another FAQ candidate...
>
> It'd be a fairly trivial (albeit possibly tedious) task to create a
> stylesheet to convert the Gnucash XML file into another format.  There
> are some pretty decent XSLT/XPath engines available on Linux.  As a
> thought, it probably makes sense to never drop the XML file capability,
> because you can save to XML, transform the (e.g.) OpenOffice Calc, or
> whatever, using XSLT...

I agree 100% that it would be a good idea to retain the ability to
export to XML.  WHo knows what kind of possibilities that will open up
in the future.

However, does the XML file contain things like account totals?  I
imagined it would just have the account stucture and raw transaction
data.  SO, you would still need some kind of engine to do anything
useful with the data, wouldn't you?

PS: What I would like to see is just a simple "export to <tab> delimited
file" option for a register window.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil