upgrade question

Phil sublime78ska at comcast.net
Fri Aug 8 19:58:00 CDT 2003

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 11:43:20 -0400, Benoit Grégoire <bock at step.polymtl.ca>
wrote:

> On July 4, 2003 10:37 am, Phil wrote:
>> I'm interested enough to learn more about what is involved and how often
>> releases come out.  If it's how you describe then I could commit for
>> every
>> gnucash release.
>>
>> I'm fairly new to linux but working on improving my abilities all the
>> time.
>> I've been a programmer for about 10 years but mostly on AS/400's which
>> has
>> a completely different commandline syntax to unix.
>>
>> I read a thread on mandrakeusers.org
>> http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5559&postdays=0&postorder=asc&
>>

>> start=0 where a user needed to use cooker packages to get it to compile.
>> If
>> that's necessary, though, then I'm not inclined to want to do it.  I've
>> been bitten by cooker packages in the past and have learned it's best to
>> wait for them to become official.
>
> Compiling it on mandrake shouldn't be very difficult, as it's a fairly up
> to date distribution.  Mandrake is what I use to develop, and I'd
> maintain the mandrake packages myself, but my system always tends to
> drift towards cooker between releases, so I can't do it without sending
> people down the path of dependency hell.

ok, I understand that I need gnome 1.4 development environment in order to
do this.  What's the best way to get that?  And to ensure it doesn't cause
me problems elsewhere.  I have Mandrake 9.1.

I've been looking around and haven't had much success - everything is 2.2
or 2.3

and Mandrake Linux 9.1: www.mandrakesoft.com