State of the GnuCash project: A call for help

Carl B. Constantine duckwing at duckwing.ca
Sun Aug 10 22:06:58 CDT 2003

* Benoit Grégoire (bock at step.polymtl.ca) wrote:
> Very soon, I will write a second article to list specific projects where you
> can contribute.  Regardless of your skill set, there will be one for you...

I look forward to such a report. One of the areas I'm very interested in
is Taxes and Invoicing (for business). Here in Canada, many provinces
have dual taxes (Alberta being the main exception). The federal
Government Services Tax (G.S.T.) and then provincial sales tax (P.S.T.).
The law states that these taxes must be shown separately on invoices,
they cannot be blended (like the VAT I belive). There isn't an easy way
in GnuCash to make an item taxable twice and then show it separately and
appropriately on invoices (with GST number). This is one area I'd like
to scratch, and document very well.

Some initial work has been done by Herman Oosthuysen of Aeorspace
Software on how to set up GST, but as he's in Alberta, he doesn't have
to deal with PST :-).

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how I can contribute as I want to use
GnuCash for my business.

GnuCash also needs some better general Canadian Loan amortization as
well as Mortgage Amortization. I know some of these features are there
but haven't looked at them in depth to see how the work for us Canuks.

--
 .''`.      Carl B. Constantine
: :' :     duckwing at duckwing.ca
`. `'    GnuPG: 135F FC30 7A02 B0EB 61DB  34E3 3AF1 DC6C 9F7A 3FF8
  "Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more
  people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world."