State of the GnuCash project: A call for help

Phil sublime78ska at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 20:51:01 CDT 2003

> ---------------------------
> STATE OF THE GNUCASH PROJECT, A CALL FOR HELP

I'd like to help.  GnuCash is an application that I depend on, and the data
file is the only file I back up off-site after every change.  So I'd say
it's important to me, and something I'd keep up on.  Linux in general has
become a bit of a hobby for me and I'm spending a lot of time learning how
it all works.  I've got two ML pc's and a third with Mandrake's MNF
installed.

I also like to keep software uptodate.  I hate it when I have a question
and the answer is "fixed in a new release, upgrade" but there is no
mandrake rpm available.  So I got the very (seems to me!) long list of
packages installed necessary to do 'make' on a second PC in my basement.
My goal is to create rpms.

I haven't figured out how to do it all yet.  I'm fuzzy on what to do now
that I've done make.  I thought it'd do everything except install the files
in the /usr directories, and maybe that's what it did do, I don't know yet
how to tell.  (If anyone wants to tell me, or point me to some docs, that'd
be great! :)  I've been following the README file and the mail lists to get
to this point.)

A little about me.  I've been a programmer for 10 years. But unfortunately
for GnuCash, my expertise is with ILE/RPG.  I do C coding when I use SQL
for db i/o.  I'm proficient with the DB2/400 flavor of SQL.  The platform
is an as/400 which means no ./configure, make, etc!  Prior to that I was an
accounting manager for a non-profit.

Willing to help,

Phil Groschwitz

and Mandrake Linux 9.1: www.mandrakesoft.com