Documentation web page is live!

Michael Rensing mrensing at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Aug 17 16:25:59 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 18:08, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 17:15, Herman wrote:
> > Well, just as the Docbook author said: "Don't learn XML".  I want to say:
> > "Don't learn Docbook".
> >
> > OpenOffice.org version 1.1RC2, can output in Docbook format.  There is not
> > much need to learn a bunch of arcane tags. :-)
>
> Well, while you're technically correct, OOo does output XML, it
> nevertheless _is_ still necessary to learn DocBook XML. The DocBook
> support in OOo is still very rudimentary and doesn't support quite a few
> tags that are used and necessary in hacking on the GnuCash
> documentation. I use it, mostly so when writing I can concentrate on the
> content, but it has always been necessary to go over the document
> afterwards to verify all the tags are there and that the document passes
> the xmllint test. It may eventually improve enough to do a perfect
> import and export of DocBook XML, but until that day you still need to
> know the language.
>
> Chris

What Chris says, plus the fact that every time I've installed OOo from
the site I've ended up with an unstable installation which does not
conform with RedHat standards. If I wait for the stable version, I don't
have these problems, but I also don't get the latest features such as
DocBook XML editing. I'll look forward to a stable version with all the
DocBook capabilities, though.
--
Michael Rensing