Downgrading gnucash?

James Strandboge jstrand1 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 14:04:21 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 19:54, Ryan Claycamp wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:12:37PM -0500, Jack McKinney wrote:
> >     In order to run gnucash-1.8.4, I had to upgrade my system from
> > Debian woody to Debian unstable.  Unfortunately, this makes my
> > system way too unstable.
> >     So, I have reinstalled my machine with Debian woody, which means
> > that gnucash is back to 1.6.6.  When I try to open my gnucash file,
> > it complains that it is corrupt, presumably because it has 1.8.4
> > specific entries in it.
> >     Is there a way to convert my 1.8.4 file back to 1.6.6?
>
> I went to apt-get.org and found a site that back-ported GNUCash 1.8.4
> to woody.  There were two sites and I included this line in my
> sources.list:
>
> # GNUCash
> deb http://mirror.raw.no/ gnome2.2/
>
> It is based on gnome2.2 as you can tell, and I had to download quite a
> few files.  It might be a better solution than unstable.

I am the maintainer of this backport.  It may be possible to just
upgrade gnucash to 1.8.4-- though I haven't tried it.  gnucash isn't a
gnome2 app.  That said, there are a lot of gnucash dependencies, and it
may pull in something that is dependent on something else and so on.
However, it is worth a try:

apt-get -s install gnucash gnucash-docs

The '-s' is for 'simulate'.

Of course, I recommend giving gnome2 a go!  :)  gnucash 1.8.5 should be
uploaded in a few days as well.

Jamie Strandboge

Email:        jstrand1 at rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A
Fingerprint:  D9FF DF4A 2D46 A353 A289  E8F5 AA75 DCBE 2638 4A3A