Budgeting - Let's decide what we want!

tripp+gnucash-user at perspex.com tripp+gnucash-user at perspex.com
Sat Aug 30 20:45:26 CDT 2003

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Jack McKinney wrote:

>     No.  I am using subaccounts of Cash In Checking to budget.  However,
> this means that when I reconcile with my bank, I have to go into several
> subaccounts to find all of the transactions.  My register trick just grabs
> all of the uncleared items from all subaccounts and presents them for
> clearing.

A problem with this method is that not all of your budget expenditures
will necessarily come from cash/checking or any one account. You may, for
various reasons, elect to put some of those expenditures on a credit card,
store credit, etc.

This system, then, of pre-allocating your cash into a budget doesn't quite
work in those circumstances, unless you use splits when you pay your
credit card bill from the cash account to recognize the portion that came
from your budget, but this seems messy...