tracking mileage as a business expense

Matt Scafidi McGuire mattkat at jazzynotions.com
Wed Dec 17 07:38:53 CST 2003

I've been using Gnucash for personal finances for a while now.  Recently
I started using it for my consulting business.  My question involves
tracking and reimbursing for business mileage expenses on a personal car.

I may be mistaken, but I believe it has been explained to me that my
consulting biz should pay me $.35/mile (or whatever the IRS recommends)
for use of my automobile.  The biz then claims those expenses at tax
time.  Is that correct?  Is there a way to track mileage directly in
Gnucash (69,000mi-69,204 for trip on 6/19/03 to ...)?  It seems like it
would be really nice if that could be associated with business jobs or
invoices, but that may be not well thought out.  Does anyone have any
thoughts?

Regards,
Matt