status of accounting periods support

Ian Pilcher pilchman at attbi.com
Thu Feb 6 14:18:51 CST 2003

Hendrik Boom wrote:

> Looks like we need a January 0, and a December 32.
> This might be the easiest hack, depending on how dates are stored.

Don't forget that business may have fiscal years that end on dates other
than December 31.

The other approach that I can think of (and I'm not a GnuCash developer)
is to add a "closing transaction" flag and ignore any transactions with
this flag set when calculating income and expense totals for reports.

I don't *think* that anything else would be necessary.

IANAA (I am not an accountant), but the second approach feels more
"right" to me.  (Of course, since I'm neither an accountant nor a
developer, I should probably just shut up!)