Compiling/installing gnucash-1.8.1: an oddity

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 19 13:22:54 CST 2003

Chris Vine <chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> If I use a different desktop manager such as windowmaker, it configures,
> compiles and installs without reporting an error, but fails to provide the
> gui component of gnucash.  The resulting program fails on start-up when it
> tries to load /usr/lib/libgw-gnc.la, which is missing.  (Other bits are
> missing too, but that is the one the program first reaches when trying to
> load.)  This behaviour is exhibited whether or not I configure with the
> --enable-gui option (that option seems to be ignored).

That's because "--enable-gui" is the default, so yes, adding --enable-gui
does nothing.  If you, however, --disable-gui, it will do something (but
probably not what you want ;)

I'm a bit concerned, because you are the first or fourth person to
actually run into this problem.  I myself have never seen it, and as
far as I know none of the developers have seen it.  But clearly there
is a problem in some environments.

I _think_ the problem is a path problem, but it will depend on how you
answer these questions:

1) do you "./configure" and "make" as a non-root user?
2) do you then "make install" as root?
3) is "gcc" and "ld" in root's path?

I suspect the reason it matters is that root's path is different
depending on the different environments; in the "working" environment
gcc is in root's path, and in the "non-working" environment, gcc is
NOT in root's path.

> Once compiled and installed under Gnome (I usually use Gnome-2.2), I can start
> gnucash when using other desktop managers such as windowmaker.  In other
> words, it is a compile/install-time issue, not a run-time issue.

I agree..

> I get the same behaviour with another machine with the same set-up, except
> that it uses gcc-2.95.3 instead of gcc-3.2.2 and gnome-2.0.3 instead of
> gnome-2.2.0.

I dont think this has much to do with it.  Can you check the PATHs as
suggested above?  Another thing to do is look over the build/install
logs and see if you are getting any errors like "gcc: command not
found" or something else when it's trying to re-link libgw-gnc.la.

Another thing to try is:

        cd src/gnome
        make clean
        make all