Compiling/installing gnucash-1.8.1: an oddity

Chris Vine chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 18:49:13 CST 2003

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 6:22 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:

[snip]

> I _think_ the problem is a path problem, but it will depend on how you
> answer these questions:
>
> 1) do you "./configure" and "make" as a non-root user?
> 2) do you then "make install" as root?
> 3) is "gcc" and "ld" in root's path?

1 and 2) I do everything as user.  The install is to a sub-directory in /tmp
so that I can make up a Slackware package, with something like:
make DESTDIR=/tmp/gnucash install.

I don't go to root until I am actually installing the package (which by that
time is missing the relevant items).  This could be bad news for the idea
that it's a PATH problem.

3)  On this machine, gcc is in /opt/gcc-3.2, which is in root's and users'
shell path (ie /root/.bashrc includes that in its path and exports it, as
does /etc/profile.d/gcc.sh for users).  ld is in /usr/bin, which is in the
default path.  On the other machine, both gcc and ld are in /usr/bin.

I should make the point that the path for user and root is the same whether I
am using Gnome or windowmaker.

> I suspect the reason it matters is that root's path is different
> depending on the different environments; in the "working" environment
> gcc is in root's path, and in the "non-working" environment, gcc is
> NOT in root's path.

[snip]

> Another thing to try is:
>
>         cd src/gnome
>         make clean
>         make all
>         make install
>
> And see what, if any, errors you get.

Unfortunately you are up against inertia here.  I have gnucash working
(congratulations to the developers)!  But I will see if I can do that later
tonight.

Chris.