Compiling/installing gnucash-1.8.1: an oddity

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 19 15:18:06 CST 2003

Chris Vine <chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> > I _think_ the problem is a path problem, but it will depend on how you
> > answer these questions:
> >
> > 1) do you "./configure" and "make" as a non-root user?
> > 2) do you then "make install" as root?
> > 3) is "gcc" and "ld" in root's path?
>
> 1 and 2) I do everything as user.  The install is to a sub-directory in /tmp
> so that I can make up a Slackware package, with something like:
> make DESTDIR=/tmp/gnucash install.

Ahh... Are you setting LIBRARY_PATH when you do this?  See the RPM Spec
file for an example, but you need to do something like:

        env LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/gnucash/lib:/tmp/gnucash/lib/gnucash make install DESTDIR=/tmp/gnucash

If you don't, then libtool will fail to re-link the libraries
properly.

> 3)  On this machine, gcc is in /opt/gcc-3.2, which is in root's and users'
> shell path (ie /root/.bashrc includes that in its path and exports it, as
> does /etc/profile.d/gcc.sh for users).  ld is in /usr/bin, which is in the
> default path.  On the other machine, both gcc and ld are in /usr/bin.
>
> I should make the point that the path for user and root is the same whether I
> am using Gnome or windowmaker.

Hmm.. Odd..

> Unfortunately you are up against inertia here.  I have gnucash working
> (congratulations to the developers)!  But I will see if I can do that later
> tonight.

Fair enough.