gnucash-1.8.1; Euro sign and german texts/menus don't work

Burkard Meyendriesch bm at malepartus.de
Sat Feb 15 13:08:00 CST 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:18:57 +0100 Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I do not.  A funny circle with four dots around it might be
> > just a bad font's rendering of the euro.  I use Lucidatypewriter in
> > my Evo compose window (¤), and the preceding euro looks find to me.
> > You may try playing with fonts.
>
> The funny circle is the international currency symbol (at least I was
> told it is). Some fonts don't have the Euro symbol (which replaces the
>
> circle if I remember correctly). So you may first try to determine if
> the font which is used where you see the circle actually has the Euro
> symbol.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

Sure, you are right: the funny circle is the international currency
symbol used in the font encondings ISO-8859-[0-8] at position 0xA4.
In ISO-8859-15 it is replaced by the euro char.

On my machine:

    $ xlsfonts | grep 8859-15 | wc -l
    $ 459
    $

there are 459 (out of 5349) ISO-8859-15 fonts which should be suffi-
ciant for proper X11 operation. Can somebody please tell me how to
force X11/KDE-3.1 only to use ISO-8859-15 fonts? I think this would
solve my little problem.

Burkard

--
Burkard Meyendriesch