Reports and splits - not compatible

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 18:33:35 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 20:11, David Hampton wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 16:38, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Uh, may I ask why you have 2 credits in one transaction?  There is
> > nothing particular WRONG with it, but generally you have one credit
> > and a lot of debits, or one debit and a lot of credits.
>
> As an example, my paycheck has two credits: salary (taxable) and money
> to cover things like medical and vision plans (non-taxable).  I want to
> track these separately so that my gnucash accounts match up with my W2
> at the end of the year.  Debits go to my bank account, and to a dozen
> other accounts to track things (taxes, insurance, etc) that are paid as
> part of my paycheck.
>
> David

On *my* paycheck, medical and dental and vision and life insurance,
etc., are all deductions.  Pre-tax deductions, to be sure, but
deductions nonetheless.

In my salary account, each transaction has 1 credit (the gross salary),
and many debits (benefits deductions, taxes, reserve
accounts/retirements, etc).  Now, I could see the point if you have
multiple *types* of income rolled in one check (e.g., salary, plus bonus
or salary advance or something, etc).
--
Matthew Vanecek