Automatic Saving

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield@acm.org
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 09:57:19 -0600

How does saving work with the database back-end?

I think I would want GnuCash set up so that every time I enter a financial
transaction (or add an account, or a price, or whatever) the database would
be changed immediately.  In that case, "File > Save" would be a no-op,
autosaving wouldn't be useful, and GnuCash doesn't maintain backups.

If that is so, I would like the file back-end to work the same way: every
change is saved immediately, and "File > Save" is unnecessary.  And keep no
backups; I (should) back up all my files, when and as necessary.  Just give
me a good Undo!

In fact, I agree with Matthew Thomas
(http://mpt.phrasewise.com/stories/storyReader$374): having to save data is
interface cruft, and we'd be better off without it.

Giving GnuCash a cruftless interface would be a lot of work.  For instance,
the file back-end might need rewriting to allow incremental saves.  But maybe
it's something to think about for version 2.0?