Copying data from one book to another

Dale Alspach alspach@math.okstate.edu
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:05:14 -0600

I successfully did this by a rather crude method. If you export the
accounts, the internal id of each of the accounts remains the same. This means that
any transaction extracted from the original file can simply be copied into
the new file and will be properly entered.

I had several transaction that needed to be moved. I just used grep to find
lines containing the string 2003-0. Found the subset where this is the posted date.
Then I cut and pasted these transactions from the old to the new account
file. One has to be careful to keep the xml intact.

I do not know whether any means of dealing with these things is in CVS, (as
I am using 1.6.8) but
it would be nice to have the ability to manipulate sets of transaction.
For example use find to locate all transaction between certain dates and
then export them, or delete them. A corresponding import should also be
allowed. As noted earlier one issue is the internal id of an account. As
long as these are not modified these operations are simple file
manipulations. A more complex problem is what to do if transactions are to
be moved to an account system where the correspondence is based on account name.
This is similar to the problem with importing QIF files (although easier
since the data is actually there.)

I also wish that it was possible to preserve the fill in data that one
builds up over a year of entry. I hope that the scheduled transaction list
can also be carried over to the new year.

Dale Alspach