Problems installing rpm on suse 8.0 pro

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Wed Jan 22 12:43:35 CST 2003

First, you should always send responses to the list instead of to
individuals.  Someone else on the list may have an answer, or may be
able to learn from one of the answers.

> When I do rpm -q guile it reports 1.4-372, but the RH8 rpm still says it
> needs libguile.so.6.  I do find / -name libguile* and a ton of them so
> up but not libguile.so.6.

Sounds like the RH8 rpm might be built wrong.  Chris, any ideas?

> So...
>
> I went back to trying to ./configure the source and it stops at
>
> libglade... yes
> main in -lgal...  Unknown library `gal'
> no
> configure: error: gal library not found.
>
> Any ideas to help me on this one?

You probably need the gal-devel package.  In general when configure
complains about something like this, look to see if you have the -devel
package.

David