gnucash accounts to track roommate expenses?

James Howison james at freelancepropaganda.com
Thu Jan 23 11:54:39 CST 2003

Hi,

I would probably try to do it like this (two methods), although IANAA
(....Accountant):

Assuming 100 Utilities expenses split in two, paid for by one cheque:

Method 1
--------
Start in checking account.
Transfer $100 to Expenses:Utilities

Jump to Utilities account
Transfer $50 *Rebate* to Assets:Accounts Receivable:Owed by Roommate

Now this will reflect the true situation - your expenses were $50 and
you are owed $50.

When paid:
Transfer $50 from Assets:Accounts Receivable:Owed by Roommate to
Assets:Checking.

Method 2 (less messy - but you can't track exactly what your roommate
owes you for
- though a good description will help)
--------
Start in Checking
Check 110 $100 - Split
Transfer $50 to Expenses:Utilities
Transfer $50 to Assets:Accounts Receivable:Owed by Roommate

When paid:
Transfer $50 from Assets:Accounts Receivable:Owed by Roommate to
Checking.

Your checking account will balance either way :)

The advantage of either method below is that if you use the method
below your expenses will show as $100 ($50 more than they actually
were) and your income will show $50 higher than it actually was.  It
will still balance, of course, but won't allow you to track your
expenses properly...

Cheers
James