postgres backend ???

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 22:50:13 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 15:11, George Osvald wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:57 am, you wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 08:59, George Osvald wrote:
> > > I've installed the latest version of gnucash and would like to try using
> > > it with postgresql. Where can I find some info how to set up a postgres
> > > backend? (I downloaded the backend srpm)
> >
> > If by latest you mean "1.7.8", then read on.  If you're using 1.6.x,
> > don't use the PG backend.
>

> I was actually planning to use it for business but my accounting has been
> pretty simple. I got rid of windows entirely about three years ago and has
> been using StarOffice 5.2 and now OpenOffice with all sort of queries taking
> care of my accounting. It is however very time consuming to constantly
> customize my queries every time I think of something new to add. Is it
> possible to use my existing tables that I have been using in my database?
> Or do I have to redesign everything from scratch?

Accounting uses a very distinct data model. The current PG backend
loosely follows that data model, and the rewrite will be even closer.
You don't have to design any of the tables, etc., as it is already
done.

My advice is this: Use the Gnucash file backend (instead of the
database).  Use it in parallel with your current system.  Test it out,
see how it works for you.  Report any bugs you discover, etc.  See if
the setup works for you.  Even test out the current Postgresql backend
if you like.  Make sure it works for you, and treats your data as you
expect.  Nothing worse that implementing a new system only to discover
it's not what you expected.  When you are satisfied with the file
backend, you can always save your file to the database--the database &
tables are all created automatically, depending on what you use as the
DB URL (refer to that README I mentioned).

I'll have the Postgresql rewrite done in good order, and it should prove
more extensible and stable than the current implementation
(extensibility will be the greatest win).

Also, you do know you can create views that match your needed queries,
don't you?

I guess the short of it is, test out Gnucash as a system (irrespective
of using the database or a file), and see if it will work for you.  It
will work the same using either a file or the DB, with the exceptions I
previously mentioned.

Please be sure to CC replies to gnucash-user.
--
Matthew Vanecek
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except me.