stock transaction

Henrik Ahlgren pablo+gnucash at iki.fi
Thu Jan 30 08:01:51 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 04:26:28PM -0800, fretel ca wrote:
> Thanks: Can this "SI" account handle real time Stock update ?
> I created a Commodity: Type:NYSE, Symbol:SI, Name:SI,
> then create a new account using security:SI called:Assets:Investments:Stock:SI
>  The amount in SI is not cash but units, and the purchase and sell price is different,
> How should I handle this perfectly?

The method Tim Kynerd described is fine for other Asset type accounts
but I too have trouble understanding how to split loss/gain from the
Tot Buy columns in Stock type accounts where you enter the amount
of shares and the price of one share, and Gnucash multiples them giving
the total amount.

Maybe someone could give an example of a transaction in Stock type
account.