1.7.8 success story

Boris Goldowsky boris at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 31 12:34:57 CST 2003

A lot of times I read this list and get discouraged because everyone
seems to be having problems.  So I thought I'd post a message on behalf
of the silent majority for whom things work...

I decided the time was right to try 1.7.8, since I needed to be able to
set up a new mortgage account.

The install worked (nearly) flawlessly.  Here's the recipe I used:

1.  I installed redhat 8.0 from CDs, making sure the "gnucash" package
was selected (it was an update for me, but I'm pretty sure this would
work the same way with a fresh install).  This only give you Gnucash
1.6.6, but it assures that you've got all the random dependencies
cleanly installed on your system.

2. De-install old gnucash version:
	sudo rpm -e gnucash g-wrap g-wrap-devel
	you've got the CD right there so you know you can re-install these if
things don't work out.

3. Downloaded source RPMs:
     gnucash-1.7.8-1.src.rpm
     gnucash-docs-1.7.8-1.src.rpm
     g-wrap-1.3.4-2.src.rpm

4. Build and install source RPMs:

rpm -hiv g-wrap-1.3.4-2.src.rpm
rpmbuild -bb ~/rpm/SPECS/g-wrap.spec
sudo rpm -hiv ~/rpm/RPMS/i386/g-wrap-1.3.4-1.i386.rpm
sudo rpm -hiv ~/rpm/RPMS/i386/g-wrap-devel-1.3.4-1.i386.rpm

rpm -hiv gnucash-1.7.8-1.src.rpm
rpmbuild -bb ~/rpm/SPECS/gnucash.spec
sudo rpm -hiv ~/rpm/RPMS/i386/gnucash-1.7.8-1.i386.rpm

Gnucash-docs required one additional dependency - installed from CD:
sudo rpm -hiv
/mnt/rh1/RedHat/RPMS/docbook-style-xsl-1.50.0-3.noarch.rpm
rpm -hiv gnucash-docs-1.7.8-1.src.rpm
rpmbuild -bb ~/rpm/SPECS/gnucash-docs.spec
sudo rpm -hiv ~/rpm/RPMS/i386/gnucash-docs-1.7.8-1.i386.rpm

I chose to build from source since that way I know it's building
against the particular versions of supporting libraries that exist on
my system.  Also, I get the optimizations for the processor type of the
machine.

The only problem I ran into was one mistake in g-wrap.spec:
%doc AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog INSTALL NEWS README THANKS
should be:
%doc AUTHORS COPYING.LIB ChangeLog INSTALL NEWS README THANKS

Post-install, it's working very well.  A huge thank you for the
countless hours that have gone into producing this program.

Bng