GnuCash frustrations

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Thu Jan 30 19:30:43 CST 2003

GnuCash version 1.6.6 as provided with RedHat 8.0.

1) How do I record stock options?  I did not pay anything for them.  GnuCash
will not let me record an acquisition price of zero.  Yet this is part of my
net worth and needs to be tracked.

2) Other 401K plans are measured in shares.  Gnucash does not seem to
understand that I have 304.8821 shares at 108.237 per share.  It insists I
have either one share at some price pretty close to what my statement says,
or that I have a whole bunch of shares valued at one dollar.  Both cases
are not correct.

3) I began entering data as of 1 Jan.  Trying to reconcile my bank
statement.  Can't because some of the transactions occurred in 2002.  How
do you completely reconcile in this situation?

4) What is the proper way to record the changing value of 401K plans?
Should I make a "suspense" income account and assign the gains/losses to
it?

5) How are paycheck contributions to 401k plans recorded?

Thanks!
Bill Gee