Examples for entering transaction

Vincent V vincentv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jul 1 11:29:14 CDT 2003

Ralph
Here is another method of achieving what you want, but you have to be
clear about what it is you are trying to represent. If the account is
your personal account then you own all the goods until your girlfriend
pays you back at which point you only only own half of them. If it is a
set of joint accounts  then you both own them but your girlfriend still
owes the account until she pays. You can arrange it to mix the two but
then the 'net worth' figure (assets - liabilities + equity) will not be
right.
I'm assuming these are your accounts

Accounts
Things we bought (asset)
My girlfriends share (liability)
My girlfriend owes  (asset)
My bank (bank)  -or credit card or whtever

Transaction Buy TV
   Cost: My bank -> Things we bought
   Cost/2:My girlfriend owes -> My girlfriends share

Note that your net worth has not changed, you have simply 'exchanged'
cash for a TV - which you currently still own completely. When your
girlfriend pays you back you lose the 'asset' of what she owes you but
your equity remains the same, Your liability to her (i.e. her share of
the joint goods) must also remain so you must 'transfer' the asset.

Transaction Payed me back
   Cost/2:My girlfriend owes -> My bank

I have attached a sample accounts to show this

Hope that this helps

Vincent Valvona