list quoting policy?

Eric Schwartz emschwar at debian.org
Thu Jul 3 22:32:05 CDT 2003

Is there a list quoting policy?  I ask only because I get the digest
form of gnucash-user, and it seems several people are replying in a
top-posting style.  Personally, I find that annoying, but I don't mind
if the list thinks it's okay.

What I really hope is NOT okay is the practise of quoting every single
email in the entire thread in their entirety.  In Vol 4, Issue 6, there
was a reply by Rene Gerlich that was a total of 391 lines long, of
which a whopping 24 were original.  I don't have anything against Rene
personally, and I'm sure he's a fine person.  But when 94% of your
email is quoted text, I think it's fair to consider that you aren't
trimming your quotes.  It's very tedious to scroll though all that
reply text, at first wondering if there are any comments in there worth
reading, and then just wishing it were over.

I've been increasingly irritated at the decreasing S/N ratio on the
list, so I'm sorry if this comes off as too harsh.  Regardless of if
you top-post or not, can we all please trim the text we're quoting to
just enough to maintain context?  Remember, the lists are archived, so
it's not like you can't just refer back there if you need to.

-=Eric