upgrade question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 4 11:45:11 CDT 2003

Phil <sublime78ska at comcast.net> writes:

> I'm interested enough to learn more about what is involved and how
> often releases come out.  If it's how you describe then I could commit
> for every gnucash release.

It varies.  At this point in the release cycle, I would guess future
releases of 1.8 at a rate of about one every 2-3 months (starting this
month).  During the alpha tests (the 1.7 series) there were releases
every two weeks.  Similarly, there were a number of early 1.8.x
releases, but that's maybe 3 releases every other week, or so.  As I
said, it varies.

> I'm fairly new to linux but working on improving my abilities all the
> time. I've been a programmer for about 10 years but mostly on AS/400's
> which has a completely different commandline syntax to unix.

Ahh, a newbie ;)
Welcome.

> I read a thread on mandrakeusers.org
> http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5559&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
> where a user needed to use cooker packages to get it to compile.  If
> that's necessary, though, then I'm not inclined to want to do it.
> I've been bitten by cooker packages in the past and have learned it's
> best to wait for them to become official.

Honestly, I don't know.  I don't much about mandrake, so I couldn't
tell you what you need.  Sorry.