Gnucash Help: URL not found

Theo. Sean Schulze tschulze at teamfinders.org
Tue Jul 8 23:42:34 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 03:56:30PM -0400, Derek Atkins hunted and pecked out:
> "Theo. Sean Schulze" <tschulze at teamfinders.org> writes:
>
> > OK, is there a separate docs package?
>
> Yes, the gnucash-docs package is distributed separately from gnucash.

Fair enough.  It makes sense to distribute the help files separately, because not everbody needs them.  If I don't need them, I don't install them, and they don't take up space on my drive or increase download times by adding to the size of the tarball.

I would like to suggest though, that you add a line or two about the docs being separate in either the README or the INSTALL file.  The README already has the list of gnucash's dependencies.  You could add something like, "If you want the online tutorial and help docs, install the gnucash-docs package distributed separately."  It should also be possible to make the error message more informative.  For example, instead of "URL not found", it could say "URL not found.  To use the online help, install the separate gnucash-docs package."

If my initial email sounded a bit irritated, I apologize.  I was really looking forward to getting started with gnucash, and wanted to hit the tutorial.  But, then I was caught up short by the URL error message.  It puzzled me, because I had read both the README and the INSTALL documents.  Neither of them mentioned separate docs, so I assumed that when I selected --enable-html-docs they would be compiled and installed.

Cheers,
Sean

--
Theo. Sean Schulze