Gnucash multiuser remote (was Re: gnucash web interface)

marthter marthter at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 9 13:52:41 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:

>marthter <marthter at yahoo.ca> writes:
>

>>I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about a "bug" that it
>>didn't have a web interface.  I was just trying to make a feature
>>suggestion that would really help in my situation.  And I think it is
>>a similar situation for a number of small (like 10-20 employees)
>>businesses that I work with.  They could get a lot of benefit from
>>GnuCash.  If the setup involved 1 Linux machine and no setup on the
>>clients (just using a browser), I think the convincing would be easy.
>>Currently the setup involves converting their whole office to Linux,
>>and I think that convincing would be very hard.
>>

>Well, the alternative is to port GnuCash to Windows, which is a better,
>laudable goal IMHO.  I dont think a web interface is the direction we
>want to go...

Yes, good point.  For some reason I'd mental-blocked that alternative
out of consideration.  That would certainly help in convincing people
(although it is still more setup on each client than my suggestion).  I
guess I should check out gnucash-devel and see if I can help with that
Windows porting.

>>If you think this is too small of a minority of users to worry about,
>>or outside the scope of what GnuCash is trying to be, then I will of
>>course bow to that wisdom.
>>

>I do.  While I do want to support the 10-person company, I do not
>think we need a web interface to do so.

Thanks again for the quick and knowledgeable responses.

~Martin