1.8.4stable?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 9 14:44:51 CDT 2003

CL Gilbert <Lamont_Gilbert at RigidSoftware.com> writes:

> Exactly as stated.  I hit save, then it opened the file path dialog.
> Then I choose the location, and type the name, then hit OK/Save
> whatever, then it complained about the file not existing.  this is
> eventhough it should be creating it.  probably it was truly complaining
> because the *path* didnt exist.  It was some funky path like
> /home/carl/.gnucash/xxx which it should not have been because I was
> trying to save to /home/carl/GnuCashData/mydataFile.  somehow it merged
> those 2 paths and came up with a garbage path.  I tried to save about 3
> times by choosing the path graphically.  Finally I decided to enter it
> manually at the bottom of the window.  I typed
> /home/carl/GnuCashData/mydatafile thinking that the initial '/' would
> clean up this path mess, but to no avail.  I tried saveAs also.

Question: did the data directory (/home/carl/GnuCashData) already
exist, or were you giving GnuCash a non-existant directory?
I'm asking because GnuCash wont create the directory path for you.

What happens if you try to save the data as "/tmp/my-data"?  Does that
work?

> So I said forget it.  Figured that from previous 1 time experience if I
> just hit exit, it would ask me for a file name since this file had never
> been saved yet.  It did, but this time when I hit enter, something poped
> up saying Guppi Crashed in some manner. and that brought the whole thing
> down it seemed.

Hmm.. This is strange.  First, are you _SURE_ it said that "Guppi"
crashed?  Or was it a gnome dialog that said "your application has
crashed..."?

> | In what way did "it finally [give] up the ghose[sic]"?  Did it die/crash?
>
> Thats 'ghost' :)

Yes, I know (hense the "sic")...

> | Did it pop up bug-buddy?  What were you doing when it did this?  Can you
> | reproduce the problem?  Can you get a stack trace from the problem?
> |

> well as I said, I was trying to save.  Didnt have opportunity to enter
> anything so I assume bug-buddy didn't show itself, whatever that is.

Bug Buddy is the gnome application helper that pops up and says "this
application has crashed..."

> How does one get a stack trace?

run gdb, attach the process-id of gnucash, and then use gdb's
"backtrace" command.

> | Unfortunately, "it died" isn't useful.
> |

> How about, "It died, dead" :D

Uh...  No.

> excuses excuses ;) j/k I like gnucash because eventually I expect to add
> a thing or two to it once I get the swing of it.

Cool.  We look forward to your patches.

> Overall I will take that as its safe to go ahead and migrate to gnucash.

Yes..  I think so.